Thank you to all our members who have volunteered to make a block for the Quiltcon Charity quilt. For our blocks we will be making Improv Stars, inspired by Gwen Marston and the history of improv quilting.
Each volunteer has been given a package of fabric in the official Quiltcon colours, a neutral and two accents. This is enough fabric to make one block, and if you add your own white, you’ll have enough to make two! Please use ONLY the fabrics given, with the sole exception of adding white. Please return your scraps in the bag provided, so that we can use them to fill in spaces in the quilt, and possibly piece parts of the backing.
If you take a packet, we ask that you make at least one block, and if you’re able to donate some of your own white fabric, please make two! Please make one block that is 12″ finished and one block that is 9″ finished.
Each block will be made using one accent colour for the star and the neutral included in your packet or your added white as the background.
We are using the wonky star tutorial by Victoria of The Silly BooDilly for our blocks.
For the 12″ finished block, you can follow the instructions AND measurements in the Silly BooDilly tutorial.
For a 9″ finished block, cut all of your squares at 3.5″, and follow the instructions in the Silly BooDilly tutorial.
Your completed blocks should measure 12.5″ square and 9.5″ square. Blocks MUST be returned at the November meeting at the latest, to give us plenty of time to piece the quilt top. If you can bring them to the October meeting, that’s even better!
- block sizes are 9″ and 12″ finished, so 9.5″ and 12.5″ when you bring them back
- please make at least one block, two if you’re able
- please don’t add any other fabric except white for the background of your second block
- please use thread that coordinates with your background and press your seams to the side
- please return your blocks to the november meeting at the latest, the october meeting if you’re able
- please put all of your scraps in the bag provided and return them with your blocks
Have fun making your stars! We cannot wait to see everyone’s blocks in October and November!
All of the packets were claimed at the September meeting, but don’t worry, we’ll need more volunteers in October! there’s a second step for the 9″ blocks, and any that are returned in October will be given to other volunteers to finish.