On January 19th, we started off the year with a great guild meeting. Despite the icy weather, we had an excellent turnout of twenty-eight quilters including nine guests. Our lovely new room at Langara College is very spacious and it’s great to be able to welcome new members!
If you missed the meeting, here are a few guild business items of interest:
1) 100 Days of Modern Quilting is still happening on the Modern Quilt Guild blog, check it out to see inspirational quilts and tutorials!
2) The date of the FVMQG retreat has changed to February 3-5th and the price is now $175. Email Charline Derksen at email@example.com if you’re interested in registering.
3) We’re planning a VMQG-FVMQG meet up at the Creative Stitches Sewing Show on Saturday, March 24th at TRADEX in Abbotsford. Mark the date on your calendars with more details to follow.
4) Our next sew-in date is February 19th and since our usual location isn’t available, we’re looking for a temporary space. We will have a quilt frame available for people to hang their quilts and take photos for submission to the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase at the International Quilt Festival (deadline for submission is March 2nd, 2012).
5) We’re looking for volunteers for a charity committee, please email Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested!
Our January speakers were Bernie and Shelley Tobisch and they worked together like a well-oiled machine to demystify sewing machine tension, needles, thread, and more! It was a treat to see them use their excellent props (i.e. a toilet paper roll) to show how thread comes off the spool smoothly if the spool is held vertically and how the thread twists if it unrolls in a horizontal position. If you have a question for Bernie or would like to have him service your sewing machine, you can email him at email@example.com or check out his blog: Bernie Fixes Sewing Machines. For information about the day retreats that Bernie and Shelley run, you can take a look at Shelley’s blog: As the Spool Turns or email Shelley at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you so much, Bernie and Shelley!
As usual, we had some amazing quilts on display during our show and tell. Here are a few of those quilts:
Felicity’s Easy Going Modern quilt
Paul modelling Amy’s star tree skirt
Karen’s bicycle quilt
Terry’s sunset mini quilt
Arita’s wonky log cabin quilt
Shelley’s Autumn Splendour bag