Our February 16th VMQG meeting was full of awesomeness! Kalin gave a great presentation on “Colour Basix!” and picking colours for quilts. She’s an expert on colour and had a lot to share. Who knew that shades are a colour mixed with black and tints are a colour mixed with white? Not me!
If you’re excited to learn more about colour and to find some amazing inspiration images, here are some great places to start:
- The Art of Choosing Series by Jeni of In Color Order
- Color Basics for Quilting by Elizabeth of Oh, Fransson!
- COLORlovers where you can create personalized palettes
- Color Matters
- Design Seeds with new palettes all the time
Twenty-six Stacked Books blocks were made for the January challenge and our two lucky winners, Kalin and Felicity, went home with thirteen blocks each!
Our February challenge is an improv mini quilt and you can read all the details in our challenge blog post.
We had some guild business to note:
- Please welcome Elke as the newest member of our executive! She has volunteered to be a Member at Large and we look forward to having her on the team. She has already shown great dedication to the guild by travelling the greatest distance to get to a meeting. She was working in Lethbridge, AB on February 16th and took a flight back to Vancouver and immediately hopped on the Canada Line to come our meeting!
- We’re excited about our first-ever Friday night sew-in coming up from 6:00-11:00pm on Friday, March 9th! It’ll be on the west side of Vancouver in the Parish Hall at Holy Trinity Church, at West 12th Avenue and Hemlock St.
- We’ll be having a meet up with the members of the Fraser Valley Modern Quilt Guild at the Creative Stitches Show in Abbotsford on Saturday, March 24th. There will be a show and tell and mug rug swap and we have the room from 2:15-5:00pm.
- Arita has created a welcome email for new members and we’ve sent it out to all current members. It’s a great orientation to the guild!
Show and Tell
Felicity’s paper crane pillow cover using Laurraine’s pattern
Felicity’s Easy Going Modern Quilt using Terrain
Arita’s “A” quilt
Berene’s owl from the potholder swap makes a resized reappearance!
Laurraine’s version of Sonja’s “I Love Sushi” pattern
Sonja with her “Greetings from Antarctica!” pillows
We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting on Thursday, March 15th!
All photos by Sonja Callaghan.