Vancouver MQG – Greater Western Sydney MQG
Having made connections with some fabulously talented quilters in Australia via Instagram, I (Berene) thought a little guild swap would be fun. And by little I mean Teeny Weeny! I contacted Lorena (http://ikwilt.blogspot.ca/) from the Greater Western Sydney MQG and she got the Ozzie girls on board. So please sign up to join in as I think it’s going to be fun.
The concept for the swap is “Teeny Weeny” and by that we are referring to the size of the pieces in the piecing, not necessarily the finished item. Think zakka-tastic! As per the rules below, your project must be pieced. Machine appliqué is not permitted for this swap. Using modern fabric choices, your item may be patchwork pieced, paper pieced, hexies, improv pieced or needleturn hand-appliqué, but we ask that your pieces are small. It’s a great opportunity to use up your scraps and also to have fun fussy-cutting your pieces.
This will be a secret partnered swap. You will receive your partner’s info and make something specifically for them. Someone will receive your info and make something specifically for you. You aren’t necessarily sewing for the person who’s sewing for you, and you’ll keep it a secret until the swap items are received.
Partner info will be sent via email sometime in September, and the finished items will be due in November.
Here is a mosaic of inspiration that the girls in Sydney put together:
You can reduce any pattern in size to make it teeny. However here is a list of patterns and tutorials that might come in handy as they are already small:
“TEENY WEENY” SWAP RULES:
1. Teeny weeny is the theme of this swap and this refers to teeny weeny piecing, which is obligatory in this swap. It can be paper-pieced, patchwork piecing, English paper pieced, improv pieced, hexies, needle-turned hand-appliquéd, but it must be pieced in some way – machine appliqué is not permitted. The overall look and feel should be intricate, cute and “zakka-tastic.” (See pics in the mosaic provided for inspiration.)
2. To sign-up please fill in the online questionnaire HERE by Monday August 25, 2014
3. Participants choose an item (or a choice of items) from the list provided. Maker makes ONE of these items.
- Pouch (Could be zipper / snap frame / flex frame etc – maker decides on closure)
- Needle book
- Sunglasses / Spectacle case (recommended size for most specs: 3” x 6.5”)
- Collapse-able Thread Catcher (No pin cushions attached please)
- Trivet/Mini Mini Quilt, max size of 8”x8” (Could be heat-proofed with something like Insul-Bright – specify if you would like yours heat-proofed)
- Passport Cover (Specify your passport dimensions if this is your choice.)
4. Deadline for VMQG members is November 17. Each guild will mail one box with all the submissions. If you sign up you are committing to make an item for your partner, and you must make the deadline that your guild sets.
5. Stay connected via social media:
A private Facebook Group will be set up so that you may communicate and share with the group. If you join the swap and are on Facebook, please include your Facebook details so that we can invite you to the group.
Flickr Group for this swap: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2713420@N21/
Instagram hastag: #teenyweenyswap
6. Feel free to post the button for the Facebook page on your blog if you are participating.
7. Items should be flat for shipping purposes.
8. Note there are to be no extras with this swap – in order to keep shipping costs down. A wee card or note however would be lovely. Your partner would like to know who made their gift!
9. When you are done please wrap your “Teeny Weeny” project up, and label it with your partner’s full name and email address. Then hand it in to either Berene (VMQG) or Lorena (GWSMQG) by the deadline.
10. Most of all have fun and make something beautiful for your quilty “cousins” abroad.