VMQG has accepted an invitation to be the featured artist at the Vancouver Quilters’ Guild show happening this October 23rd and 24th at St. Mary’s Ukrainian Centre (West 14th and Ash).
We were waiting on some final details about the show before putting together this blog post but the show is going ahead in this new venue and we couldn’t be happier!
Our goal for the display is to put on a beautiful showcase of Modern Mini Quilts. Modern quilting is a new concept for lots of folks and this is a great opportunity to share our work and educate viewers about modern quilting.
Felicity’s all-solids mini quilt for a Flickr swap
VMQG members, here is your challenge:
- Make a mini quilt that illustrates one or a few of the characteristics of Modern Quilting (per the Modern Quilt Guild’s definition here).
- Use solid fabrics only, the choice of colours is yours.
- Keep the size at a maximum perimter of 80″. That means length+length+width+width = 80″ or less.
- Include a 4″ hanging sleeve on your mini, not just the corner triangles. Here’s a great tutorial on making hanging sleeves.
- Label your quilt with (at minimum) your name and phone number.
- Write a short statement (100 words maximum) about your mini, including the characteristic(s) your quilt illustrates (we will have a Google form or hard copy template for this).
- Bring the finished quilt to the September 21st VMQG meeting.
A couple of notes:
Feel free to share your progress on Social Media using the hashtag #VMQGmodernminishowcase.
The show venue at St. Mary’s is smaller than the previous one so our display space may be smaller than originally anticipated. Depending upon the number of quilts that get submitted, we may need to choose a sampling that gives the widest range of examples of modern quilting, so it is possible not all of the minis will be in the display. We won’t know until the quilts get submitted.
Be aware that we are working on putting together our very own VMQG show in the near future, which will be an opportunity for ALL of the minis to be displayed.
Please direct any questions you may have to Krista Hennebury (krista DOT hennebury AT shaw DOT ca) who is coordinating this mini showcase.