We had a lovely evening at Trout Lake Park last night for our fourth annual outdoor guild meeting! We were happy to welcome new members, friends and family, and several members of the Fraser Valley Modern Quilt Guild. Our outdoor meeting is a casual affair but we did go through some business and I thought I’d post it here in case the drum circle made it hard for you to catch all the details.
- The guild presented a baby quilt to Samantha in celebration of her first meeting back since the birth of her son in April. It was pieced by Amy, quilted by Stacey M., and bound by Arita.
- MQG Announcements: QuiltCon 2016 registration is open and QuiltCon quilt show registration is open. Two special challenges for the show are the Michael Miller Glitz Fabric Challenge and the EZ Quilting Triangle Challenge.
- Upload your MQG Fabric Challenge photos to the gallery on the MQG Community Site for the Riley Blake Cottage Garden Challenge by July 31st
- We are planning a QuiltCon Charity Quilt with Stacey Day as coordinator. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re willing to volunteer to make a block, piece the top, quilt, bind, etc. This project wraps up early in the new year so we can get it to the US for the end of January.
- We’re five! At our June meeting we handed out goody bags to members filled with a colour card for our new logo colours, a VMQG measuring tape, logo sticker, business card, and two buttons. Pick up your bag if you missed it!
- We now have 103 members and Michelle has MQG membership cards for all of us! There are also pins for those who didn’t get one yet. Pick them up!
- Nominations will open soon for 2015/16 executive positions and we will have several open positions. Please watch the blog for a post so you can help out your guild and have a lot of fun!
- Congrats to our four members who have quilts in the Quilt! Knit! Stitch! Black to White Challenge. Felicity, Alicia, Terry & Stacey Day will have quilts on display in Portland in August.
- Sew outs – second North Van sew-out coming up at 6pm on Monday, July 27th, RSVP to Paula if you’re planning on going
- Summer Friday night sew-in at Holy Trinity on August 28th. You can pay at the August meeting or via the PayPal button on the blog post about the sew-in.
- Upcoming workshops: Stick it in Your Purse, Honey! on August 16th with Berene Campbell (a few spaces remaining) and Fancy Fox II on September 27th with Jade Prosser (several spaces remaining)
- Bainbridge Island MQG is looking for quilts for their 3rd annual Quilt Festival, Saturday, Sept 12th, and you can drop them off at the PNW MQG meet up in Seattle
- PNW MQG Meet up, Seattle, Aug 20-23, about four VMQG members are registered at this point. Contact Holly at email@example.com if you’ve decided to go. Register at the Seattle MQG site for $40 USD.
- Quilts for our Modern Mini Showcase at the Vancouver Quilters’ Guild show are due in 2 months at our September 21st meeting.
- Balance due tonight for our October 2015 Edenvale retreat.
- Changes to guild meeting dates: October meeting will be the 4th Monday (Oct 26th) (Gee’s Bend quilters speaking at Maiwa on our usual meeting night of the 3rd Monday, 13 seats left), December meeting will be on 2nd Monday (Dec 14th) as the 21st was after school lets out for the holidays.
July Challenge – Niki shared a string block we’ll be doing as our next block lotto. Keep an eye on the Challenges page for the instructions.
Show and Tell – Watch the VMQG Flickr group for Janice’s photos of the show and tell. You’ll see a death star, a dahlia, some fancy foxes, lots of fancy quilting, a turtle pillow made by my eight year old, and much more! Thanks to Janice, Alicia and Marilyn for volunteering to be our new photography committee!
To wrap up the meeting, we gave out door prizes and did a draw for the Fairground blocks that had been hanging on a line throughout the meeting. Krista was the lucky winner!
We’ll see you back at the Unitarian Church on August 17th!