Modern Mini Showcase Challenge
The theme for our Modern Mini
Challege is: West Coast Modern
West coast modern can be interpreted in many ways — west coast landscape, architecture, furniture, weather, neighbourhoods, lifestyle… it can be abstract or literal, whatever inspires you as a modern quilter living on the west coast.
For some visual inspiration, check out these boards on pinterest…
– west coast colour inspiration
– west coast modern architecture
– west coast modern furniture
– west coast landscape and
– Modern mini quilt inspiration
– West coast inspiration
– Colour, concept and technique inspiration
Modern Mini specifications (your quilt MUST comply in order to hang in the showcase)
– Maximum perimeter: 80” total (for example 20” x 20” x 20” x 20”, or some other combination of measurement on 4 sides that does not exceed a total of 80″)
– Mini quilt must be made with solid colour fabrics only (no prints)
– Mini quilt design must feature elements of the modern aesthetic — design characteristics adopted by the modern quilting community:
use of negative space
solid coloured fabrics
alternate grid construction
bold geometric design
modern traditionalism (a new interpretation of
– Must have a 4” sleeve sewn on to the back of the quilt to accommodate quilt show pipe display
– Must have a label on the back identifying the maker’s name and quilt title.
The modern mini quilts will have their own distinct display area at the show. A “Viewers Choice” ribbon will be awarded to the modern mini challenge quilt that receives the most votes from visitors to the show. This voting will take place on a mini challenge quilt-only ballot and be separate from the main showcase voting and ribbons.
Modern Mini Challenge quilts will be registered using the same quilt showcase registration process as all other quilts for the show. This process will be outlined next month (April) and made available in May.
**The showcase committee reserves the right to jury modern mini challenge quilts in the event that registration exceeds exhibition space.
Deadline for submissions: June 30,