David Owen Hastings is a quilter, graphic designer, print and textile artist. He creates richly-layered contemporary art pieces and modern quilt and textile designs. Sharing knowledge, encouraging creativity, and teaching new skills are personal passions. David gives lectures and workshops on branding, art and textile techniques. He loves to travel, especially in Asia, and enjoys sharing his experiences through travel photos and stories.
These charming little quilts are inspired by Mid-Century Modern design and are a great skill-building project to learn a number of quilting techniques.
We will start with a simple, modern color palette of neutral fabrics with a flash of color. Clean lines combined with simple design give each tiny composition a sophisticated feeling. Since we are working very small, this is a great project for using small scraps and bits of special fabric.
Participants will learn the quilt-as-you-go method, and a PDF materials and supplies list will be emailed in advance. Hand stitching adds a sleek, linear element. Finishing techniques will be demonstrated.
This workshop is a 3-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction plus a few videos (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop.
Zoom Workshop Details
- Select a range of neutral fabrics (all light, medium or dark), and a bright accent color. Solids, and subtle, small scale prints or textures work best.
- Cut cotton batting and backing fabric into 5″ squares.
- Cut a selection of the neutral fabrics into small strips (sizes will be provided).
- Cut a small amount of the bright accent color fabric.
- Learn the quilt-as-you-go technique, working from the inside out.
- Explore strip piecing and leaving the raw edges on the outside for extra texture.
- Trim your small quilt blocks and stay stitch the edges.
- Learn about hand stitching, and experiment with adding your own design.
- Sew the backing onto the top of your mini quilts, leaving a space for turning.
- Turn and press, then do a final stitching around the perimeter.
A complete PDF materials list, plus step-by-step notes and templates, will be emailed to each participant. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one time.
This is a beginning to intermediate level class. You should be comfortable using your sewing machine, and it should be in good working order. I look forward to sharing and sewing with you!
Date: Sunday, September 27th
Time: 9 am to 12 pm (with an optional Zoom Sew-In to follow from 12 pm – 3 pm)
To sign up, email email@example.com with your name, membership number and contact information. We’ll respond back on how to pay the fees.
The registration fee MUST to be paid to have your name added to the list of confirmed participants.
The fee is non-refundable.
Non-members can email firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the waitlist. You will be advised after September 15th if space is available.