A couple of VMQG events will be open for registration beginning at the January meeting.
VMQG Sew-In: We will be hosting our first Sew-In of 2020 at the Roundhouse in Yaletown during the Family Day long weekend. Please join us to try out this community space which features great lighting and terrific neighbourhood options for coffee, snacks and lunch. Bring your project to work on; irons and extension cords will be provided.
Date: Sunday, February 16th
Time: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Location: The Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre, 181 Roundhouse Mews (Corner of Davie & Pacific), Vancouver, BC
Please note that paid parking is available in the underground parkade for approx. $16 for the day. Quilters are encouraged to carpool to the event to share costs.
Gee’s Bend-Inspired Quilt Workshop with Paul Krampitz
Please join us for a day of creativity and exploration as Paul shares his approach to improvisation techniques that draw inspiration from the quilters of Gees Bend.
Date: Sunday, March 8, 2020
Time: 10:00 am – 4:30pm
Location: Croatian Cultural Centre, 3250 Commercial Dr, Vancouver, BC
Cost: $60 per member; non-members email below to be placed on waitlist.
If you have any questions about these events, please contact Marnie and Elizabeth at
WIPs: The Work In Progress Challenge is back for 2020! What is the WIP challenge? You may refer to them as UFO’s or even PhD’s – you have some projects that you started but have yet to finish. Be it a stack of blocks, or maybe even a finished top – it has not yet realized its full potential in becoming a modern quilt (or quilted item). The WIP Challenge is here to help incentivize you to break into that pile of projects and get them finished! The guidelines for the WIP challenge are simple:
- Your Work In Progress must have been started before January 1, 2020
- Items are to be listed with the WIP Challenge Boss, Loretta, at the January or February meetings. Missing the January and February meetings? You can also email or text Loretta your WIP list – but note that the deadline is our February meeting
- You pay $2 per item on your WIP list
- You buckle down and finish your WIP!
- You bring your finished project to Guild meeting and Show if off at Show and Tell
- Each item finished AND shown will get you a ticket for the final prize draws
- Tickets are drawn at the end of the year, and the winner(s) split the WIP Challenge bank$. In 2019 there were THREE winners. To be eligible for the end of year draw, you must show your item(s) at Show and Tell! NO, unfortunately, you can not just send a picture of it!
Want to participate? Bring your list of WIPs and $2 per item to the January or February meeting, and see Loretta. And if you are like me and registered for the WIP challenge in 2019 (and then didn’t finish anything?!?), Loretta still has your card. She can recycle it into the 2020 WIP Challenge for you – but its going to cost you another $2 per item!
Alright then, finish those projects!
SNOW – If there are any meeting cancellations due to weather conditions check Facebook or Instagram posts day of meeting.